Foreign Language Major
(French, German, or Spanish)
BACHELOR'S DEGREE (BA)
- » Program Prerequisite: Completion of first and second-year courses in the
language or equivalent preparation.
- » Minor: Required.
- » Grade Requirements: A grade of "C" or better in courses required
for this major (a grade of "C-" is not acceptable). Also refer to the
general grade requirements for graduation under General
- » Credit Hour Requirements: A total of 120 credit hours is required for
graduation -- 40 hours of these must be upper division (courses numbered 3000 and above).
For the major, a minimum of 30 upper division hours is required beyond the prerequisite
lower division courses (prerequisite courses, if needed, total 16 credit hours). At least
6 credit hours of major courses must be completed at WSU.
Foreign Language majors are encouraged to meet with a faculty advisor at least annually
for course and program advisement. Call 801-626-6183 for more information or to schedule
an appointment. (Also refer to the Department Advisor Referral List.)
Declare your program of study. There are no
special admission or application requirements for this major.
Refer to General Requirements of this
catalog for Bachelor of Arts requirements. Foreign Language HU2010 in any
language will fulfill the 3 credit hours for the Humanities General Education
requirement. A student who completes an upper-division Foreign Language course
with a "C" or better will also meet this requirement. Credit for Humanities
General Education (HU2010) cannot be obtained through examination.
During their senior year, all foreign language majors will complete FL
4990 in order to help the department assess how well it has met its goals.
Students are encouraged to keep copies of their best work from each course taken
in the major. These examples will be used in FL 4990.
Course Requirements for BA Degree
Complete the following 16 credit hours
(or demonstrate equivalent proficiency)
- FL 1010 First Year I (4)
- FL 1020 First Year II (4)
- FL HU2010 Second Year I (4)
- FL 2020 Second Year II (4)
Required Courses (6 credit hours)
- FL 3060 Grammar & Composition (3)
- FL 3160 Intro to Literature (3)
- FL 4990 Senior Assessment (0)
Select a minimum of 24 credit hours from the following
(choice must include at least one literature course on this list)
- FL 3000 Proficiency Development (3)
- FL 3220 Phonetics & Phonology (3)
- FL 3300 Foreign Language Journal (1)
- FL 3320 Applied Language Studies (1-3)
- FL 3360 Grammar Review (3)
- FL 3510 Business Language I (3)
- FL DV3550 Studies in Culture & Civilization (3)
- FL 3630 Literature Genres (3)
- FL 3650 Literature Periods (3)
- FL 3670 Literature Authors (3)
- FL 3690 Literature Special Topics in Literature (1-3)
- FL 3850 Study Abroad (1-6)
- FL 4300 Foreign Language Journal (1)
- FL 4510 Business Language II (3)
- FL 4620 Survey of Literature I (3)
- FL 4630 Survey of Literature II (3)
- FL 4690 Special Topics in Literature (3)
- FL 4850 Study Abroad (1-6)
- FL 4830 Directed Readings (1-3)
- FL 4920 Short Courses, Workshops . . . (1-4)
- FL 4960 Senior Seminar & Thesis (3)
Weber State University 2007-2008 Catalog